
Boxing
Exclusive: Top Irish Talent Kieran Molloy Eyes Galway Homecoming as He Targets World Title
Irish boxing star Kieran Molloy plans a major homecoming in Galway as he aims for world championship success. Despite training in England, he remains a Galway boy at heart and wants to stage a big outdoor event in his hometown. This talented welterweight has the backing of his passionate supporters and aims to bring big-time boxing back to Galway.

Boxing from SSE Arena in Belfast by Ramsey Cardy | Getty Images
Kieran Molloy, one of Irish boxing’s most talented prospects, has outlined plans to headline a major show in his native Galway as he aims to take another step towards becoming a world champion.
Based in London, the 26-year-old enters 2025 still unbeaten as a professional after winning all three of his contests last year.
Despite joining the New Era Gym in the English capital following a spell with Angel Fernandez, Molloy is aiming to stage an event in his home city during what is expected to be a pivotal 12 months in the welterweight’s burgeoning career.
“Steve Collins once took a fight to a horse showground down in Cork and that’s gone down in history,” Molly told SportsBoom.com, describing his legendary compatriot’s WBO super-middleweight title defence against Neville Brown at Millstreet’s Green Glens Arena nearly two decades ago.
“I’m working in England now but I’m still a Galway boy and we want an outdoor show in the summer."
“Let’s get a good fight on - a really good fight - and make it for a title. Everybody gets behind their own and that’s the way we are down in Galway."
“We support each other and get behind our own. Even at the GAA, we travel all over the country to support our teams."
“That’s our culture. It’s in our nature.”
A former medallist at the European amateur championships, Molloy has fought only once in Galway since entering the paid ranks three years ago.
Three of his 10 outings have taken place north of the border in Belfast while another, against Daniel Sostre, occurred in Boston, USA.
Now promoted by GBM and set to feature on their York Hall card this Friday, it is a measure of Molloy’s potential that Top Rank, owned by the legendary Bob Arum, initially swooped for his services before he switched to Michael Conlan’s stable.
RANKINGS RISE
Although Molloy is convinced that Beatt’s support can help propel him up the rankings, continuing to build a following in the Republic is also crucial after a large number of supporters travelled to watch December’s comfortable points victory over Nicaragua's Robin Zamora at Sheffield’s Canon Medical Arena.
“We had one fight in Galway and, within 24 hours, we’d sold out a 1,000 seater venue,” Molloy, who competes at either welterweight or super welterweight, said. “That goes to show the hunger and the passion is there.
“I’m blessed to have the people behind me so let’s do something even bigger now. I know for sure that we'd fill it out.”
Despite confirming he is petitioning his backers to arrange a St Patrick's Day bout, Molloy’s priority is to reward fans from Galway and the surrounding area by bringing big time boxing back to the area. His last appearance there, in April 2023, was hosted at the Salthill Leisureland complex.
Given Molloy’s burgeoning profile, that venue is unlikely to be considered again should his wish be granted.
Eamonn Deacy Park, which stages Galway United’s fixtures in the League of Ireland Premier Division, could be suitable - particularly if Molloy’s advisors study the model used by Boxxer when British middleweight champion Callum Simpson fought at Barnsley FC’s Oakwell stadium eight months ago.
“It’s phenomenal to know I’ve got the support of people in Galway behind me,” Molloy said.
“In boxing, you’ve got to stay so focused on whoever is in front of you. It’s you versus them."
“But when you get dragged into the deep end, that support can make the difference. It can really pull you through and make sure you come out the other side.”

Neil has been a journalist for longer than he'd care to remember, having written for national newspapers and respected publications for over 25 years. For the last three years he has worked freelance for BBC Sport, working on the production desk as a sub-editor and also as a writer, covering a whole range of sports.